Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Fiancée Visas (special nonimmigrant visa category)

If you are a U.S. citizen who wishes to marry a Ukrainian citizen in the United States, you should file an I-129F, or fiancée, petition with USCIS in the United States.  More information can be found on the USCIS I-129F instructions page.  USCIS, not the Consular Section has the authority to approve such petitions.  When the petition is approved your Ukrainian fiancée will be eligible to apply for K-1 visa.

If you are a U.S. citizen and wish to marry a Ukrainian citizen in Ukraine, visit our page under U.S. Citizen Services to read more about the civil marriage process in Ukraine.  Once you are married, your spouse will be eligible for an immigrant visa upon approval of the immigrant petition.

The U.S. Embassy in Kyiv processes fiancée visas for Ukraine.  The fiancée, or K, visa allows the prospective spouse of a U.S. citizen to travel to the United States for the purpose of marriage.  The minor children (under 21) of your prospective spouse may also travel to the United States with a K visa.  We hope that this guide will answer most of your questions about K visas.

The following pages provide a step-by-step guide for filing the I-129F petition and the K1/K2 visa process.

Terminology used in this guide:

  • Fiancée – The term fiancée will be used to include both male and female prospective spouses
  • USCIS – The Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Petitioner – U.S. citizen who files a petition with a USCIS office in the United States on behalf of a fiancée asking that he or she be admitted to the United States for the purpose of marriage
  • Petition – USCIS form I-129(F) "Petition to Classify Status of Alien Fiancé or Fiancée for Issuance of Nonimmigrant Visa"
  • Beneficiary – The fiancée named in the petition
  • K-1 Visa – The nonimmigrant visa category for the fiancée of a U.S. citizen
  • K-2 Visa – The nonimmigrant visa category for the minor children of a K-1 visa holder
  • Information Packet – Information the Embassy makes available to your fiancée and/or lawyer, which specifies the documents that must be obtained and presented at the visa interview, and explains how to obtain the required medical examination