Programs and Grants
The Ukrainian Media Partnership Program
The Ukrainian Media Partnership Program (UMPP) creates and fosters long-term relationships between selected U.S. media outlets and Ukrainian media outlets. UMPP works with independent print, radio and TV media sectors in Ukraine. UMPP was launched in 2002 and is funded by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in Ukraine.
The program is administered by IREX, which works to strengthen the current legal status of independent media, improve the professional journalism and business skills of media owners and employees through training and on-site consultations, and increase the resources and services available to independent media through indigenous media associations. IREX has provided support to independent journalists in Ukraine since 1995 through conducting trainings and education, media monitoring, research and supporting media associations.
The UMPP program works toward the following:
- Give Ukrainian media outlets opportunities to take part in practical training experiences organized by their US partner;
- Create and foster long-term relationships between selected US media outlets and Ukrainian media outlets of similar sizes and between the individual professionals that work at both outlets;
- Provide selected Ukrainian media outlets with short- and long-term opportunities to interact with their US counterparts; and
- Give targeted Ukrainian media outlets the opportunity to participate in practical training experiences organized by their US partners.
The Ukraine Media Partnership Program works with the independent print and broadcast media sectors in Ukraine, with a focus on developing professionally managed Ukrainian media outlets that produce objective news and reporting. This program was specifically designed to enhance business, management and marketing skills of independent Ukrainian Media outlets and to give general skills of communication with foreign partners for future international media projects development
- Ukrainian internships (10 days) in the US;
- US trainings (1 week) in Ukraine at the host city;
- Wrap-up round table discussion for Ukrainian partners (print, TV, radio) in Kyiv.
Contact Information for Ukraine:
For additional information about the program contact Svitlana Zholobaylo, UMPP Program officer, IREX/Kyiv, 01033, Kyiv Vul. Saksahanskoho 36d,2nd entrance, 5th floor, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org